Weekly Spanish lessons are taught to all children in years 3 to 6. The scheme of work has been developed in partnership with other Hackney schools.
Learning a foreign language is a liberation from insularity and provides an opening to other cultures. A high-quality languages education should foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world. The teaching should enable pupils to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to its speakers, both in speech and in writing. It should also provide opportunities for them to communicate for practical purposes, learn new ways of thinking and read great literature in the original language. Language teaching should provide the foundation for learning further languages, equipping pupils to study and work in other countries.” National Curriculum 2014
At our school we aim to ensure all pupils:
- Are able to enjoy and communicate effectively through simple songs, rhymes, phrases and conversations.
- Understand phonology, grammar and vocabulary, taught through themes familiar to the children.
- Develop curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world and their role as a global citizen.
- Develop curiosity to learn foreign languages.
- Learn Spanish within the context of Hispanic countries and cultures.
¡Bienvenidos a español! Welcome to Spanish!